Saturday, January 13, 2007

Start of Journey in Hanoi

For many of my friends and relatives, my decision to move to Hanoi with my husband (who was posted here by his company) was a surprise. I have always been v close to my family and enjoyed my job in Singapore so it was really hard to imagine that I am willing to uproot myself to a city 3.5 hours away from Spore. For me, the main pull factor was really my husband. While we have always been an independent couple, I do not think it is a good idea to stay apart for 2-3 years.


Many Singaporeans who have stayed in Hanoi describe it as a charming and quaint city. If I were to paint a picture of Hanoi, it will be filled with lakes, old shophouse architecture and bustling traffic (believe me, the traffic is so chaotic that I had a headache on my first day here). For me, the appeal of Hanoi lies not in the city itself but rather the unique culture (includes food) and people here. As I interact more with the locals, I find that they have a strong sense of pride for their country and as my husband aptly puts it, Hanoians are a resilient lot and have a way of creating their own system within chaos. Of course, this could be common in developing countries but for someone like me who is used to living in a city, these small instances do add colour to my otherwise "stagnating" life here and I thought it was a wonderful idea to record them down in this blog. Perhaps years later, I would relish each and every moment as a passing stage of my life. This was how this blog "Hanoi Cafe" came about, a place to capture stories that I learnt through conversations and observations.

No comments: