Friday, July 11, 2008

A Short Getaway to Central Vietnam - Hai Van Pass

The morning of our second day in Danang was free and easy. M and I took this opportunity to take a quick stroll by the beach before indulging ourselves in the buffet breakfast. At 11am, we gathered for lunch on board a ship, after which we proceeded to the highlight of the day "Hai Van Pass".

From the ship, we saw the famous suspension bridge in Danang

Hai Van Pass is a famous tourist attraction in Danang because it is located on top of a mountain and from there, you can see the magnificent sea view below. In the old days, the merchants will go through this pass during their trading routes. As the scenery was beautiful, they named it "Hai Van Pass" or 海云关 which means the gate of sea and clouds.

The drive up the mountain was around 40 minutes and along the way, we could already catch scenic sights of Central Vietnam. When we finally reached the top, I took a while to enjoy the sea, mountain and clouds. And of course, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to take a couple of pictures.

The sight along the way to Hai Van Pass

We are on the top!

Another beautiful view...

The pass of Sea and Clouds


After Hai Van Pass, we went to another famous beach nearby to take a rest and walk around. M and I decided to have a chat with our friends over a cup of coffee and some local sweets. It was really too hot for me to step out to the beach. (Yes, I am pampered.) By 4pm, we headed back to our resort as there was a dinner function that night. I didn't join in the event as it was a corporate function. But I had fun watching the Wimbledon matches in our hotel room. :)

The next morning, we checked out of our hotel and made our way to Danang International Airport to catch our 12.30pm flight back to Hanoi. On board the plane, I took the last chance to take a few pictures for keepsake.

Goodbye, Danang!

While Vietnam does not have the stunning sights that took my breath while I was touring around China, it presented various unique, subtle yet tasteful angles which were interesting for me. I was definitely glad to be in Danang and Hoi An. I guess I will be back but not soon. Perhaps in 5 to 10 years' time, when the infrastructure has improved. And my destination would be Nha Trang, where it's acclaimed to have the best beaches in Vietnam. Till then!

No comments: