Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Totoya (Kim Ma) Japanese Restaurant

It's unbelievable but we went for Japanese food again last Saturday.. Totoya was recommended by our Japanese friend but the branch near Vincom Towers has closed down. So we decided to try the Kim Ma branch instead.


The ambience of the restaurant was very cozy and nice, though a little warm. We took a corner seat in a small room. There were Japanese posters put up all around which reminded me of those little shops we frequented during our Japan tour.



The set lunch menu was rather comprehensive and inexpensive, ranging from USD 5 to 8. Considering that this included the main course with soup, appetizer, side dishes and coffee, it was pretty good value for money.

Appetizers...

Chawanmushi..

M ordered a unagi don set (yes, again!) while I had a maki set. We were enjoying our appetizers when a waitress brought us a california maki roll to share. I thought this was one of the starter items so chomped it down happily (turned out that this was a mistake but the waitress who thought we wanted an extra maki order.. so we had to pay for it).

California maki

Then my maki set came and at one glance, I knew I made the wrong choice. The maki rolls were very nice but it was too much rice for me in a meal. I felt so stuffed.. all because of the wrong california maki order.

My maki set

The unagi don was much much better than Ren. The unagi serving was generous (80% unagi and 20% egg) and delicious. M enjoyed himself quite a bit.

Unagi Don

Overall, we both enjoyed our lunch experience very much. This is a place I would definitely come back again.

Totoya (Kim Ma)
637 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh District
Hanoi
Tel: (04) 834 7844

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.