Sunday, April 27, 2008

Welcome to Taipei (Part 3) - 慈湖和西门町

It just struck me that I have yet to finish my entries on my Taipei trip (long outstanding since I went there in August last year) so here I am, furiously blogging away to complete my recollection of the entire trip. :)

On Sunday, Mousie and her bf were kind enough to offer to drive us to the outskirts of Taipei for a day trip. We were quite excited and set off early in the morning after a quick breakfast. Initially, we wanted to go to 拉拉山 where there were lots of ripe, juicy peaches. But after a long drive, the roads were getting quite dangerous so we decided to turn back and head to 慈湖 instead. 慈湖 is a park built to commemorate Chiang Kai Shek and his mother. It's a very scenic place and right at the end of the park, is small memorial hall to pay our respects to the late Chiang Kai Shek.

This picture was taken at a temple near the eatery where we stopped for lunch.

The exhibition in 慈湖
Pictures taken at 慈湖. Bottom right shows the memorial hall.

Saw this huge butterfly at the park...

After 慈湖, Mousie suggested that we go to 西门町. There is a very famous oyster mee sua stall there called "阿宗面线" which she wanted to introduce to us. When we arrived at 西门町, it was drizzling but the young crowds filled the streets. We inched our way towards the mee sua stall as Mousie said it would only get more crowded nearing dinner time. Each bowl of mee sua cost around $2 for a small bowl and $3 for a big one. The taste was good though it was too carbo-heavy for me. Not a strand of vegetable could be found in this dish. :p

Busy busy...

See the long queue...

After our meal, we walked around the bustling 西门町 to shop and admire the night scene. It really reminded me of our Orchard Road on weekends, with throngs of people on the street.

When we came to a junction, a signboard called "甜不辣" caught my eye and I dragged L and Mousie to yet, another eatery. I always thought that 甜不辣 means "Tempura" (after being conned by watching one of 吴宗宪's show) but it was not. It's a combination of fish cakes and tofu mixed with a slightly sweet sauce.

I ordered a soup version to try as well. It's like our yong tau fu...


The night ended pretty fast as Mousie needed to work the next day. Guess as tourists, we never have enough of a new city...

1 comment:

Nineteeneleventh said...

I thought it meant tempura too =)