Friday, April 11, 2008

Missing the Cold

It's such a contradiction.

Now that spring is here and the cold spell in Hanoi is over, I find myself missing those days when I would wrap myself up with thick clothes. I have always enjoyed cold weather (except the times when I was sick). It made me feel more alert and refreshed. During winter, walking outside the house was a bliss. The cold air breeze felt like soft waves of vapour hitting gently against your skin. Definitely pleasant.

Spring in Hanoi is quite different from other temperate countries. When I was in Pennsylvannia, spring time was the best season I have ever encountered. Flowers bloomed in full sight.. forming a wonderful picture against the lush green grass and warm sunshine. The weather was cool yet dry. One can really say "no sweat!". In Hanoi, the picture you see is slightly different. The weather remains warm (not devastating like summer but not cool) and very humid. Every day, the sky is dimmed by grey clouds, making a depressing sight. You know how people always say waking up to sunshine puts a smile on your face? Well, I wake up to gloomy spartan sunshine. Am I supposed to frown or what? :)

For now, I should enjoy this weather as much as I can. Summer will be approaching soon and so far, the weather forecasts have painted a really HOT picture when summer hits this year. It is predicted to be one of the hottest years in Hanoi.

Just thinking about this makes me break out in sweat already.

No comments: