Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Green Mango - Fusion Cafe

M and I went to Green Mango Restaurant located along Hang Quat Street last Saturday. I went there with my friends previously and thought it was quite a nice place. The thai green curry was supposedly quite good so I told M about it and he was eager to give it a try.

The ambience of the restaurant was warm and cozy and we comfortably settled ourselves down at a corner.

I had wanted to order a salad but most restaurants in Hanoi have stopped serving raw vegetables due to the recent cholera outbreak. So I opted for a grilled chicken sandwich instead. M had a little episode with the waiter while ordering his thai green curry lunch set. Initially, the waiter wanted to charge us the same price though salad was removed from the set menu. I asked if a replacement e.g. soup could be given but was told it was not possible. M said he was not willing to pay the same price if the set was not complete. Eventually, the waiter agreed to reduce the price but it was after much hassle and "consultation" with his manager. We almost wanted to leave. I thought it's really strange that a restaurant would continue to charge its clients the same price though the set served was incomplete. But well.. what can we say?

The bread rolls served as appetizers were quite yummy and I was quite tempted to buy some from the restaurant. :) My grilled chicken sandwich was average and M was a little disappointed with his green curry as he felt it tasted like the pre-packed sauces. I had wanted to try the green mango with sticky rice for dessert but was quite full after the carbo-heavy meal (an entire meal of bread + more bread). So I gave that a miss.


Top left: Yummy bread roll; Top right: Chicken sandwich
Bottom left: Thai Green Curry; Bottom right: Hard crust with cheese


The total bill came up to around VND 160,000 (around SGD 9) which was quite affordable. But I must say the service was a little disappointing that day. I probably won't be going there again.

Green Mango Restaurant and Hotel
18 Hang Quat
Hoan Kiem, Hanoi

No comments: