Saturday, April 5, 2008

Kamon Japanese Restaurant

M and I decided to try a new Japanese restaurant today, recommended by our friends. It's located directly opposite the Japanese Embassy in Hanoi and I was impressed by the sheer size of the embassy compound. For a moment, I felt like I was in Japan...

The restaurant was pretty small and a little untidy looking but the service was good. We were greeted by a series of "irashaimase" from the staff as we entered the restaurant, before being shown to a small, warm room. Despite the fan and air-con, I made a conscious mental note not to come here during summer as I will be baked then.


A small restaurant with a cozy feel from outside

We ordered a portion of the Hiroshima okonomiyaki to share as it was one of M's favourite dishes. I had a vegetable salad and steamed clams with sake while M had a unagi-tamago don (eel with eggs and rice).

From Top Left: vegetable salad; Top Right: steamed clams;
Bottom Left: Hiroshima pancake; Bottom Right: Unagi don

I was a little disappointed with the okonomiyaki as it didn't turn out as well as I had expected. The noodles were slightly overcooked and the wrap was a tad tough, unlike those that we had in Japan. But I might be a little biased here as this I didn't like this dish that much even in Japan.

My salad was alright though I had wanted wafu dressing instead of mayonaise. The clams were good but it's something that I could prepare at home too. :) M's rice bowl was nice, according to him, though he has eaten better ones at other Japanese restaurants.

I guess we should have tried the teppanyaki which was highly recommended instead of the usual fare which turned out to be "normal". Maybe our expectations were too high. But it will be a while before I go back to this restaurant again. Till now, Masuda and Sushi Tokyo still remain my top 2 favourites. :)

Kamon Japanese Restaurant
104 Van Phuc Street,
Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Tel: 04-7624428

No comments: