Monday, September 1, 2008

Food Paradise Hong Kong Day 4 - Grand "Burp" Finale

Our final morning in Hong Kong! This was the depressing thought that came to my mind when I woke up on the 4th day. Yes, after 3 days of non-stop eating, sightseeing and shopping, I still felt that it wasn't enough. I guess it's a good thing after all as it meant that I really enjoyed my holiday. :p

Brushing aside my negative thoughts, I decided to perk myself up with a good breakfast of congee at "Nathan Congee and Noodles Restaurant". I found this place while reading one of the weblogs on good food in Hong Kong. Since congee was not on our "tried and tasted" list in the past few days, we decided that today was THE day.

We took a nice walk from our hotel to Saigon Street at Jordan but this was where we encountered a problem. We couldn't find this eatery despite walking along the street several times and despite seeking help from passerbys who didn't know too! Was this some defunct eatery or what? Finally, we managed to ask the right person - the approachable newspaper lady who immediately gave us the correct directions. So.. Saigon Street was a long street that was segregated by several other streets.. and we were lost at one of the "segments". Anyway, after a 5 mins' walk (yes, we were embarrassingly that near), we reached Nathan Congee and Noodles Restaurant!

The eatery was quite empty when we arrived as it was around 8.30am so the business crowd had left. I ordered a fish ball congee with lettuce (鲮鱼球生菜粥) and M had a century egg porridge with pork (皮蛋瘦肉粥), with a side order of you char kway (油条). I quite liked my porridge, though the fish balls were a little bland.

Nathan Congee and Noodles Restaurant
Address: 11 Saigon Street, Jordan
Tel: 2384 7355
Opening Hours: 7:30am – 12pm
MTR: Jordan

As we walked back to our hotel, we took the last chance to enjoy the bustling city view. The scene really reminded me of Shenton Way in Singapore, with people rushing around, getting to work, and shops barely opened. Our hotel provided a free shuttle to Kowloon Airport Shuttle Station so we took that option. I was quite impressed at the Kowloon Station as that was when I realised that city check-in was available in Hong Kong for all airlines! Wow...

We took the airport shuttle to Chek Lap Kok International Airport where we did some last minute shopping for goodies.

Then we headed to Maxim's for our last tim sum treat in Hong Kong. We didn't order much, just egg tart (with bird's nest), char siew bao and siew mai. We took our time to savour the food and tea.. and it didn't disappoint. I would have preferred a normal egg tart though. :p

Our 4 days 3 nights trip in Hong Kong ended with lots of food, shopping and fun. I would definitely love to go back again.. food is a big draw for me.. but for now, I shall be contented with my usual fare of food choices back home. :)

No comments: