Tuesday, September 2, 2008

House of Nem

Last Monday, S, L and I went for lunch at a local Vietnamese eatery. Amazingly, this cafe was previously owned by a Singaporean, which explained the variety of dishes there. Besides the "nem" (nem refers to rice rolls in Vietnamese and they can be fried or eaten fresh) specialty, other items offered include sushi rolls, tim sum and hot pot. I must say this is a pretty all-in-one eatery.

The cafe was quite crowded and noisy when we arrived so we headed to the second floor to grab a table. We were overwhelmed by the choices available but I decided to stick to the conventional Hanoi fresh spring rolls. Trust me, you can never go wrong with this. S ordered a beancurd skin roll (which turned out to be a pretty small serving) while L had a crab meat deep fried roll (which was HUGE).

I liked my fresh spring rolls a lot. This is probably my favourite dish in Hanoi. S didn't quite like it though as the "bun" (the green bean vermicelli used as filling in the roll) taste was too strong.

L's crab meat roll was ok but I don't fancy fried food.

The beancurd skin roll was average as it was something that we could eat quite easily in Singapore.

The bill came up to around VND 166,000 (SGD 14) for three persons, which was quite cheap. The noisy environment probably hastened our departure as we immediately headed to Highlands Cafe at Hanoi Towers for a cup of tea and chat. It's always nice talking to the two ladies. I will miss these gatherings with them when I am back in Singapore. :)

House of Nem
43 Mac Hac De
Hoan Kiem, Hanoi

No comments: