Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Going Home

Finally, after 2 years of stay in Hanoi, we are going home.

We received the news from M's company last week and I was thrilled. After two years (slightly more for M) of residing abroad, we both felt that it was time to be back. It's strange but it's only when I came here that I realised how much my family and friends in Singapore meant to me. And for now, I am just glad to be going home.

I have gained a lot in Hanoi though. Despite my relentless complaints about the slow pace of life, boredom and lack of electricity, I have learnt to appreciate the smallest things. When the summer heat comes intensely strong, I am thankful that I have the luxury of a house to stay in while young ladies peddle in the sun selling fruits or groceries. When I need to travel around Hanoi, I get to use the car provided by M's company, instead of having to wait for buses which are often crowded and without air-con. When severe inflation struck Vietnam, I only need to tighten my belt a little while others pick up food scraps from dumps. It has been humbling.

I have also learnt that life goes on, no matter what happens. When there's no electricity, I see my local neighbours gathering outside their houses to chat and laugh about it. When there's a construction project that goes on day and night behind your house, my neighbours sleep with cotton buds and ignore the noise. When the main road outside my house is being fixed, causing a major traffic confusion as it's a 2-way road, the drivers just manage their way across, without the need for traffic police. Life goes on.

I guess I am thankful that I had this opportunity to experience life in a city of a developing country, and the chance to know many good friends here. Of course, there are always the occasional unpleasant experiences. But for now, I will keep them deep down in my heart, enjoy my last few days in Hanoi and bring back the happier moments back with me to my home.

6 comments:

StormMummy said...

Welcome back! :)

Kathrine said...

Dear Chunnie,

I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and I am sad to see you leave Hanoi.

I lived in Hanoi 2 years ago and will be going back in a month - staying for a month to do some research. I'm what you'd call a "foodie" and I've really liked reading your blog.

Hanoi is changing so fast - and through your blog I've been able to "catch up" on some of the newest food establishments. Thanks a million!

Best of luck to you.
- Kathrine

Chunnie said...

Thanks, neighbr! :) Hope to see u soon when I m back!

Hi Kathrine, I am glad that my little blog is useful to u! And I am a foodie too! Would have loved to put up more entries on great food in Hanoi but there's so much eateries and so little time.. Hope u have fun exploring ard! Take care!

karen said...

Yes, welcome back. I am sure you are looking forward to home. Must call me when you are back. Missed you many times when you were back.

Chunnie said...

yes, definitely! will arrange to meet up with u once i settle down. yay!

Coach Magdalene said...

Hi

I have been reading your blogs and I really enjoy your writings.

Do take care and God bless. Great to know that you are coming home.