Friday, September 5, 2008

Journey to the Gym

My typical morning in Hanoi begins with a hearty breakfast and some news watch before I go to the gym. It's one of my favourite daily activity though I am not a gym freak at all! So here, I present.. my journey to the gym...

As I step out of my house, I turn right...


I see another narrow lane, typical in Hanoi, which leads to the main road...


This is a "community centre" near my house, where gym facilities are provided for members...


Finally I reach this slope which brings me to the main road (I took the picture at the top of the slope)...


On my right is Tay Ho, or West Lake of Hanoi...


I walk past a popular pizza eatery, Al Fresco's, located along Xuan Dieu Road...


Looking right ahead, this is the bustling street scene that faces me every day...


Here are lake facing serviced apartments at exorbitant rental rates...


Presenting the West Lake again...


The locals fish in the lake quite often and sometimes they bring big catches home!


Taxis are commonly found parked outside hotels or eateries, awaiting for business...


A popular but expensive hotel along West Lake - Dragon Hotel...


Street peddlers selling fruits or foodstuffs along the road.. a common sight...


Busy busy road...


And the Sheraton signboard tells me that my gym is nearing!


Directly opposite Sheraton is a newly opened Brazilian coffee joint..


Presenting the Sheraton Hotel!


A little stream outside Sheraton.. where you can see Sofitel Plaza...


A walkway is being built around the West Lake... where Sheraton is located...


Nearing the gym...


The small beautiful garden...


Tadah! The kiddy pool...


And the adult version...


Here I am!


I didn't take any pictures inside the gym as there were a few members inside.. and I thought it was quite rude to snap while they were sweating away... It's a small gym and nowhere comparable in size to Planet Fitness or California Fitness in Singapore.. But the environment is pleasant.. with adequate machines and friendly, enthusiastic staff who make an effort to get to know you by name and extend you a helping hand... I remember there was once I was sick for a month and when I went back to the gym, the staff kept asking whether I felt better.. I was really touched by this gesture.

That's the main reason why I go to the gym almost every day. It makes me feel like home. :)

1 comment:

Coach Magdalene said...

Thanks for your sharing. Your writing is refreshing and I truly enjoy reading your daily life in Hanoi. I also love the photo you took. And thanks for sharing with us your "route" to gym - the pictures indeed tell us a thousand words!