Saturday, July 12, 2008

How to Detest Lychees in 3 weeks

I have been overwhelmed with lychees for the past 3 weeks. Lychees were in season in Hanoi a month ago. Due to the huge supply within Vietnam, the price of lychees went down to VND 5,000 per kg (which means around SGD 0.40). Since it's nice and cheap, lychees became THE perfect gift for most locals. Initially, I was quite a fan of this sweet fruit. However, the following sequence of events turned my love into fear...


Day 1:
I asked M to buy 1 kg of dragon fruit for me. M forgot and asked the driver to buy 1 kg of lychees instead. Well, fine.. I had fun munching...

Day 5:
Finally finished the 1 kg! Happily planning to buy mangoes when M came back with 4 kg of lychees. "What! Are you mad???" I screamed in shock. He calmly explained that the driver had bought this as a gift to his director, who then gave it to him. So he brought them home. I immediately persuaded my maid to take 2 kg. So I was left with 2 kgs to finish...

Day 8:
I was getting quite sick of lychees. The sweetness was beginning to disturb me. But throwing away was a waste.. Oh well...

Day 10:
Finally, I was lychee-free! Was in a good mood since we were going to Danang. At the airport, I noticed a huge styrofoam box being checked in by M's colleague, D. She proudly shared with me that she had ordered one huge box of lychees as gifts for other participants. I nodded politely and told myself that I would never touch them.

After lunch, the lychees were presented as desserts and the participants loved them! I didn't want to eat them at all but D was seated right next to me and kept cajoling me. So I took a few and insisted that I was full. As we left to go back to the hotel, I noticed M carry a bag of.. LYCHEES! I frantically told him to give them away... but he said D saved the bagful specially for me. Arrrgh!

Day 11:
Spent my breaks chomping down on the lychees. Was so tempted to throw them away but as D said, the lychees were really good and not as sweet. So I continued to eat..

Day 12:
The lychees were eliminated! Happy came back to Hanoi. Once again, lychee-free.

Day 16:
M's colleague came to visit us on a Sunday night, saying that he brought some gifts for us from his province. M went out and guess what? 3 kgs of lychees! He was really sweet to bring them all the way back for us.. and for the other colleagues too. But.. they are back to haunt me!

Day 17:
The start of the elimination process... I tried to eat them in different ways... but I could feel myself gaining weight as a result of the calorie intake. For information, 1 lychee contains 6 calories and 1 g of sugar.

Day 18-21:
Kept feeding M with lychees until he almost hid under the blanket. I feel a lump forming in my throat whenever I open the fridge and see the unfinished lychees. There's still a large packet of lychees in there.. but I have given up. I will just pretend that they are non-existent.

This is the detailed process of my lychee hate camp. And it worked.



I am thankful that the lychee season is finally over.

1 comment:

StormMummy said...

Your lychees look fantastic. Did you know they are good for your heart? Drink more water - they are v heaty!