Tuesday, January 30, 2007

We are Moving!

After many weeks of consideration, we have finally decided to move! The main push factor was the endless and erratic construction patterns which annoyed me greatly. The housing searching was a pretty swift process (only abt 1 week) and the main reason is because our options were pretty limited, either a serviced apartment or private house.

In recent years, the influx of foreign investments has led to an increase in demand for housing from expatriates. However, the supply of serviced apartments here remain limited, with only a few players in the market such as Sedona Suites, Coco Village, Hanoi Club and Somerset apartments. As a result, rental prices have skyrocketed. Last year, a 2 bed-room apartment in town (approx. 82 sq metres) cost around USD 2,900. Now, the rental is close to USD 3,300, a whooping increase of 14% within one year! (Note: The increase is partly due to a rise in local town maintenance fees and utility charges, or so I was told.)

My initial strong inclination was to move to a serviced apartment. One reason (which my husband doesn't understand) was the hotel-like ambience and security which makes me feel like a VIP, as well as the accessibility of supermarkets and shops in town. Of course, there is the appeal of getting to know more friends as there is a usually a small community of Singaporeans residing in serviced apartments.

However, the small space area (a four room flat versus a 3 storey house) and overly hotel-like ambience puts my husband off quite a bit (he told me he cannot imagine coming home to a "hotel" every day). And one major factor that we both considered seriously was our maids. If we move to a serviced apartment, our maids will be retrenched since housekeeping service is provided. I will lose the company that I have enjoyed pretty much whereas my husband admitted sheepishly that he cannot imagine having to endure my cooking for the rest of his posting term! Well, well.. talking about mutual compromise and understanding...

Keeping this in mind, we went around looking for a suitable house instead. We both wanted a house that is not too big, in Tay Ho area (which means West Lake) and near to the gym where I go almost every day. Eventually, we managed to find one that we both like, about 5 mins' drive from our current house. It's really quite a sweet house because it's pretty (having been newly renovated) and located in a small road off the main one, which makes the surrounding quite serene. And there is a small pool right in front of the house! While I am not an avid swimmer, I have to admit it does make the house look more appealing. :)

We have decided to move after Tet (Chinese New Year) and boy, while I am looking forward to getting away from the noise, I can't help but feel a little sad to be moving away from this house that I have grown to like. Well, I guess one can never have the best of both worlds. Perhaps I should start working on my swimming strokes now so that when summer comes, I can utilise the pool more effectively? :p

1 comment:

StormMummy said...

Wah..ex-neighbour! Your new house sounds great! Post some pics! :)