Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Summer Scent

Summer is here. I know it. I feel it. I smell it.

The temperature in Hanoi soared to a high 37 degrees in the late morning while I was in the study room chatting with my mum. My mood was at the lowest ebb being encompassed by the endless scalding heat waves. I looked longingly at the air-conditioner but willed myself against it. Too much air-con is bad for one's health, I read somewhere. Since I am a spoilt brat who MUST sleep in an air-conditioned room at night, I reckoned I should make do with the ever-reliable fans in the day. To my disappointment, my fans failed me. The simple logic of warm air = warm winds struck me plainly.

Moodily, I had lunch with H, my helper. The heat did not dampen her cheerfulness and she happily chatted with me while we ate and watched TV. At this point, I recalled that she told me once she does not have air-con at home, so she learnt to sleep in the heat, claiming that it's actually better for her body. Better? I thought to myself. Well, maybe. Perhaps I could shed a few pounds this summer since I am constantly in a sauna?

On a more positive note, it turned cooly windy in the evening (phew..) when M and I went for a quick golf practice at Hanoi Club. We had to perfect our full swing. Hit about 50 balls and was proud to say that I did fairly well, though my furthest ball was only *shyly* 75 metres away. After hitting my last ball, I realised I was was perspiring slightly despite the strong winds. There was only one conclusion to make. Summer is definitely here.

No comments: