Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sleep, Uninterrupted

I have been invaded by an everlasting strong flu bug that doesn't seem to go away. The bug caught me when I went back to Singapore two weeks ago and now it has gleefully followed me back to Hanoi. Coupled with the cold weather here, the flu bug has blossomed into a lethal combination of 100% stuffed nose + potent, never-ending cough + occasional fever. The amazing thing is I am usually fairly "alive" in the morning. The full extent of the flu happens mainly at night when I start coughing violently non-stop throughout the night while my blocked nose leaves me breathless. Poor M has to tolerate the horrible coughs from me which I believe has caused him to lose sleep too!

I am been drowning myself with Chinese cough mixtures, Western cough mixtures, avoiding meat and seafood (yes, chicken, prawns and pork), and even started preparing herbal soups for myself. I even force myself to do some light exercises as I read on the Internet that it helps in the recovery process. But somehow, none of the above has worked very well for me.

For someone who needs a lot of beauty sleep (my usual record is 7-8 hours), I am just praying for one night of uninterrupted sleep. Meanwhile, I will continue to down all recommended remedies and pray that one will work for me. :(

1 comment:

karen said...

You may want to drink lukewarm honey water as that may soothe your throat and cough. Otherwise, you may want to eat a teaspoon of honey. Yes, swollow it.

Pi Pa Gao is also very good for the throat. Since you are on western med, it's best not to mix chinese med.

For western med, go to the pharmacy and ask for Flumecil. It's an orange effervasent drink. Ask for the adult does. It helps to clear all the phlegm and you will feel better.

I am not dr but that should help.

Take care.