Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Moment to Remember

M went for a 2-day regional meeting in Bangkok so I am home alone in Hanoi. I kind of understand how he feels now when he's alone here. There's hardly any sounds at all. I mean, you don't really speak to yourself right? Guess this quietness makes it unbearable for him sometimes, which is why he always asks me to stay in Hanoi with him. :)

I haven't been doing much in the last 2 days though. Didn't go to the gym as I wasn't feeling too good. So I spent my time gaming, surfing net and watching TV. I managed to catch a Korean movie that I have wanted to watch for a while. I am not a typical Korean drama nor movie fan but I heard that this movie "A Moment to Remember" was good, so I watched it.

The story is about a young girl (played by Son Ye Jin) who fell in love with a carpenter from her father's company. They got married and the girl found that her memory was failing her badly. Sometimes, she could not recall the way home. She decided to consult a doctor and was diagnosed with Alzheimer disease. Realising that there was no cure, she decided to leave her husband before she forgot him. He eventually found her at a hospital and decided to evoke her memory by bringing her to where they first met. He succeeded though both of them knew that her memory would only last for one day. The next morning, she would not be able to remember anything again.

What struck me most was the frustration, anger and love both characters and their families displayed in the process. For instance, the girl would call her husband by the name of her ex-boyfriend, which griefed him because he was no longer sure whether he held a place in her heart. But the moment she remembered him, she would write him letters to convey and reassure her love for him. She couldn't feel the love from her family nor her husband because her memory was failing. Yet her family stood by her, offered to take care of her and tried to help her recall her past.

A wonderful and touching story which reminds me once again to treasure my family and be thankful for being able to relish the love from them.

No comments: