Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Piece of Happy News

My brother finally received his "A" level results yesterday. It's so funny but I couldn't eat my lunch till I heard his results (I think I am worse than my mum!). And the moment I heard, I burst into tears. He was like "Aiyoh... zeh, don't cry leh. Why are you crying? Calm down.. calm down... Wah.. you are so proud of me ar?" before chuckling over the phone. He did very well.. but to me, that was secondary.

When my brother was preparing for his "A" levels last year, something serious happened in my family which affected him badly. Though I was of little help, I flew back to Singapore for three weeks to be with him. During this time, my brother displayed another side of him that I never knew. He picked himself up as much as he could and tried to channel his energy on his exams. I think he handled the situation much better than me! It was then that I realised he was no longer the little boy whom I often teased (we are 12 years apart). He's evolved into a teenager who's able to differentiate the right from wrong and make decisions independently.

To my dear Brother:
Those tears that I shed yesterday (and kena laughed by you) were tears of joy. It's not because of your results, which are really good by the way, but rather the strength you displayed earlier. Thank you for putting aside your feelings then to comfort Ma.. and to "counsel" your stubborn Xiao Zeh Zeh.. Thank you for hearing my gripes despite the tight schedule you had in preparing for your "A" levels... and Thank you for being so understanding and encouraging when I had to come back to Hanoi..

Honestly, no matter what your results were, I would have been equally happy and proud of you.

No comments: