Friday, August 1, 2008

What's Your Nem?

After hearing so much raving reviews about the movie "Red Cliff", M and I decided to watch it for ourselves last Wednesday evening. The movie was pretty alright but I didn't like the half-ending. Most of the Vietnamese there were not aware that this was Part 1 so when the movie ended, there was a small commotion.

We decided to head to a small eatery that sells "nem" within Vincom Towers for our dinner. "Nem" refers to rice rolls in Vietnamese. There are many different kinds of nem in Vietnam, with distinctive differences across cities. For e.g. the nems in Hanoi are more subtle while those in Hue could be more spicy. The fillings of each nem were also different. Hanoians prefer to use boiled pork and shrimps while Hue would use stir-fried vegetables and pork. So it was really interesting to have a shop selling various kinds of nem here.

The shop was pretty crowded when we arrived. After placing our orders at the counter using the computer, we took a small table by the corner and waited for our food to be served. We didn't have to wait long. I ordered a nem with escargot but it was sold out after I had placed my order. The waitress had to replace it with a Hanoi nem and in the end, she gave me an extra piece as a form of compensation. It was sweet of her but I became overwhelmed with too much nems!

Cute shop name...

Modern interior...

M's bun (pronounced as "boon")

The Hanoi nem

Chao Nem

Hoa qua sua chua (Fruit Yoghurt)


I guess the quality of the food was not bad considering this was a "fast food joint" concept but I still prefer the nem made by my helper. :p The total bill was around SGD 8 so you can't really complain. I would probably come back and try the other types of nem.

What's your Nem?
5th Floor Vincom Towers
Hanoi

No comments: