Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cafe Goethe at Goethe Institute Hanoi

M and I decided to enjoy western food as part of our weekend treat today so off we went to Cafe Goethe (located within the Goethe Institute). As the name goes, Cafe Goethe serves delicious and authentic German food in a nice, cozy environment.

As you step into Cafe Goethe...

You are greeted by a garden of colourful flowers...

When you turn right, you see a small cafe...

Located within a school...

And you feel like.. you are back in school! :)

As the weather was cool today, we sat at one of the tables outside. I was told that the pork dishes here were good so I decided to deviate from my usual fish and chicken orders. I had wanted the stuffed cabbage rolls but was told that it wasn't available. The waitress then recommended me the grilled pork cutlet with steamed rice and vegetables which I thought sounded good. M took the grilled pork sausages with mashed potatoes. We also ordered a soup each: M had ham with potato soup while I asked for seafood soup.

When the food arrived, they certainly looked as good as they tasted. Both our soups were not bad but I didn't find any particularly outstanding. I loved the grill sausage and mashed potatoes though. The grilled pork cutlet was delicious though a tad oily for the health-conscious me.

I almost forgot about taking the picture (see the big bite!)

The grilled pork cutlet (would be +++ good minus the oil)

The entire meal (including 2 soups, bread bowl, 2 main courses and 2 drinks) came up to VND 190,000 which is SGD 19. Definitely value for $ right? Only downside was that I felt unsatisfied because I didn't have my usual huge servings of vegetables. But then again, what do I expect at a German eatery!

Cafe Goethe
58 Nguyen Thai Hoc
Ba Dinh, Hanoi
(I forgot to check the opening hours but I assume it is open daily.)

No comments: