Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Happiness

It had been close to 3 weeks (gasps!) since I last blogged and the reason for my cyberspace disappearance was simply I went back to Singapore. It's always a delight to go back and honestly, nothing thrills me more than catching up with my family and friends in my country - food comes a close second.

This time, when I came back to Hanoi, I realised a change in me. I was not as sad and forlorn when I left Singapore and instead, look forward to coming back. The main reason is obviously because M is here. But other reasons that tie me down are firstly, my friends here and the fact that I am learning to appreciate (instead of resent) the differences between Hanoi and Singapore.

Compared to Singapore, Hanoi is far from being a metropolitan city. There are hardly any high rise buildings here.. roads are dirty.. the air is often dusty and polluted.. and the sales people hardly know anything about service standards. But Hanoi is not without its charms (think lakes within the cities, pretty and slim Vietnamese gals :) and unique architecture). But what impresses me most is the ability of Hanoians to get things done the way they want despite having very little, and being able to make do with what they have.

On my way home from the airport, I saw several make-shift tents set up at the side of the road and it didn't take me long to realise that the weekend flea market was taking place soon. Though there are no proper stalls nor decorations, Hanoians have learnt to make use of what they have (like mobile tables and chairs) to create a joyful carnival atmosphere. And crowds will flock to these places to browse through the stalls and enjoy the local snacks, prepared on charcoal stoves and wire mesh.

When I was walking to gym this morning, I saw a young mother playing with her child by the roadside. The child was chuckling in delight as she played with a bamboo stick, water puppet and rattan chair. (Note: no transformers or Barbie dolls here.) Further down the road, I saw a few men fishing by the lake, despite having construction work going on right next to them. (Note: no complaints about the ongoing loud construction. It's the "you drill what you want while I fish what I want" mentality.) When I was going home, I saw two girls standing by the road, with a luggage bag, waiting for a taxi. They must have waited for a long time because they looked quite annoyed as they searched frantically for a cab to no avail. Finally, one of the girls went to pick up her motorcycle.. asked her friend to hop on.. and drove off while the luggage back trailed behind the motorbike! I was staring at them in amazement.. I would never drag my bag along the road in this manner (Note: Big car, small bike, doesn't matter. I only care about the mode of transport that can get me to my destination.)

Deep down, I still wish that I were back in Singapore. I want to continue to work in CBD, shop during lunch and go gaga over Christmas sales like my friends. But since I am not, I have learnt, and still learning, to make use of what I have here to be happy, just like the locals. While I cannot meet up with my friends regularly, I am thankful for internet access here which allows me to stay in touch electronically with them. Though I cannot see my family in "person", our daily phone chats or video conferencing sessions allow me to catch up with them. Though I am not working and gaining financially, I occupy my time with going to the gym, meeting up with friends, blogging, learning how to cook and bake and budgeting! As my mother aptly puts it, learning how to manage one's monthly household budget is a valuable and transferable skill that I should not look down on.

I guess I am quite, quite happy now in Hanoi and I am glad that I have learnt how to be happy.

No comments: