Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ky Y Japanese Restaurant

After a boring 2 weeks' stay at home recuperating from my flu, M decided to cheer me up by yesterday having lunch at one of my favourite Japanese restaurants, Ky Y.

Located along the food street of Trieu Viet Vuong, Ky Y is an unassuming restaurant with neither fantastic nor impressive interior decor. Instead, it focuses on creating a warm atmosphere and providing affordable good food for its customers.

How does it appeal to you?

The restaurant was quite crowded when we arrived and we were shown to the third floor, where we got a room big enough to accommodate 6 people. The room was slightly warm but I guess it was good for me since I was still having a slight cold.

Our room with nice little decoration pieces

M quickly decided on a soba tempura set as he said it had been a while since he ate buckwheat noodles. After much pondering, I finally settled on my somen sushi set. My lunch set arrived pretty soon with the food items nicely displayed in a bento style.

My somen sushi set.. appetizing..

Unfortunately, M's set turned out to be udon instead of soba. The waitress was apologetic but she said M had pointed to the udon instead of soba set (which I thought was quite unlikely because M doesn't like udon). Well, there was nothing much we could do about it so M told her he would take the udon. Luckily, it wasn't too bad.

M's udon tempura set

After we finished our main course, we had the dessert i.e. coconut raisin ice cream, compliments from the restaurant. I am a coconut fan so I enjoyed it quite a bit! But M took half of my ice cream because he said I was still recovering and shouldn't eat too much. Well.. I guess that's true.

Except for the error made on our soba, I think we had a pretty satisfying lunch today.

Ky Y Japanese Restaurant
166 Trieu Viet Vuong
Hai Ba Trung, Hoan Kiem District
Hanoi
Open daily except Sundays for lunch and dinner