Sunday, November 11, 2007

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I woke up early today at 8am and felt lots better after a few days' of endless sleep + herbal tea + lozenges. After a wholesome meal of bread and oats, I had a sudden craving for cookies and recalled a fairly simple recipe found via the internet. So I decided to make my own oatmeal raisin cookies. :) I modified the recipe slightly because I didn't want my cookies to be too sweet nor oily.

My first batch of oatmeal raisins cookies turned out quite well. I liked the "coarse" texture though they were still slightly sweet for me. M commented that they were good which made me very pleased. I would reduce the amount of sugar added in my next attempt (i.e. 75 g) and perhaps use pear puree as a partial substitute for sugar.

My first tray of 6 cookies

A closer look...

The modified recipe that I used is as follows:

Ingredients
- 150 g plain flour
- 150g rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 90 g of raw sugar (which I would reduce to 75g in my next attempt)
- 50 g raisins
- 1 egg
- 50 ml of olive oil (Unsalted butter could be used too)
- 4 tbsp soya bean milk

Method
1. Preheat the oven t 200 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Sieve the flour and mix together with oats, baking powder, sugar and raisins in a mixing bowl.
3. Whisk the egg, milk and oil in another bowl.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and slowly add in the egg mixture. Mix well.
5. Place spoonfuls of the dough on a baking sheet and press lightly with a fork.
6. Bake for 15 mins or until the cookies turn brown.
7. Let the cookies cool for around 10 minutes and they are ready to serve!

No comments: