Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Real Life Ratatouille

Last Sunday, M and I watched the DVD "Ratatouille" since it was one of our "nuah-at-home" days. It was quite a funny show, about a mouse called Remy that wanted to be a chef. At first, Remy did it through a cute "partnership" with a chef wannabe called Linguini. But Linguini eventually gave Remy the recognition that it deserved, affirming the notion that "Anyone can Cook".

That very night, I had a strange dream that there was a rat in my house. It wasn't hilarious because I was chased around by the rat and screamed like mad. I woke up in the middle of the night in cold sweat! Here comes the best part... When I went down to my kitchen yesterday morning, it was in a mess! My dried herbs packets were gnawed open and the herbs spilled around the floor, coupled with a few tea boxes! I immediately suspected the presence of a rat and asked my maid to call for pest control service.

The guy came in the late afternoon and finished the "surveillance" in less than one minute. Basically, he took a scanty glance around the living room and knocked around the cupboards and refrigerator. Then he shook his head vigorously to signal to me that there was no sign of a rat (of course I can see that!) and there was nothing he could do. As a form of reassurance, he told my maid that I could come down at night to try to find the rat and if I did, to call his office number and alert him. I nearly fainted! Firstly, as a client, I must be mad to try to "search" for the rat! Did he think I work in a pest control company too?? Secondly, his office closes at 5pm daily. So how was I suppose to reach him???

Anyway, I was spooked the whole of yesterday and frustrated at the non-service delivery. But there was nothing much I could do! This morning, I gingerly went down to my kitchen and was relieved to find that there was no sign of a rat invasion. But before I could say "Thank Goodness", I just heard a piece of bad news from my helper, H. She spotted tiny footsteps in our bathtub on the third floor, which meant that the rat was still around! I immediately asked her to call the pest control company to insist on a rat trap. I just cannot live with the idea of having a rat as my "room mate" - or more appropriately, "roof mate"!

Now I am still waiting for the rat trap to come... Meanwhile, I have closed all my doors and windows. I know this sounds paranoid but I am VERY scared of rats! And the rats in Hanoi are quite BIG - I have seen them on the streets, so I know. EEEeeeekkkksss!

Did the rat really think that I can live with it like Remy and Linguini in Ratatouille and therefore, moved into my house prior to "seeking my consent"? FAT HOPE!

No comments: