Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Cup of Drip Hanoi Coffee at Cafe 48

I have always been a tea lover so coffee does not appeal to me as much as a cup of warm teh-c. Although M has constantly raved about the fragrance of Hanoi "drip" coffee, it never really crossed my mind to try until yesterday.

Well, my friend, H, is helping out in her friend's cafe so I thought I should show her some support by dropping by. L was nice to accompany me there and we both ordered the highly recommended coffee with milk ("ka-fe sua"). It's basically warm "drip" coffee with condensed milk. H shared that the coffee powder is from another province and not found within Hanoi, which makes it so special. The aroma was really very fragrant and the taste was not as overwhelming as I thought. In fact, the coffee left a sweet (not bitter) after taste in my tongue, much to my delight.

From left: H waiting for me at Cafe 48
Top right: Let's start brewing!
Bottom right: My first cup of coffee in Hanoi

A cup of coffee there costs VND 7,000 (or around SGD 0.70). Definitely value for $. The only drawback is the cafe is very small and Vietnamese men tend to smoke while enjoying coffee, so I was pretty choked by the "fumes" while being there. Other than that, it was a nice cozy little cafe serving fragrant coffee.

Cafe 48
48 Tran Hung Dao, Hoan Kiem District
Opening Hours: 7am to 4pm

No comments: