Friday, April 13, 2007

My Daily Bread

There is no punt meant in this title. I have every intention to share on what I consider my most satisfying dose of "daily bread".

I didn't use to be a bread-eater in Singapore because I very much prefer a steaming bowl of yong tau fu or plain porridge with "yu sheng" early in the morning. Blame this selective appetite on my doting father who used to spoil me by having breakfast with me at Chinatown Food Complex (now relocated to Outram Park) every day before dropping me off my work place at Raffles City. (P.S. He works in Tuas!)

Alas, when I came to Hanoi, my yong tau fu only appeared in my dreams. :( I was determined to seek "substitute" products to cheer myself up for breakfast. Since bread is readily available here, I braced myself for a series of "bread tests" i.e. trying different brands and types of bread from supermarkets, cake shops, coffee houses, etc for close to 6 months. At last, I found a close (though not quite the same) subsitute for my steamy, yummy yong tau fu... *Cheers* Without further ado, I shall now introduce my... Black Grain Bread.

Ahh.. don't be deceived by its looks. It certainly doesn't look as appetising as the Flosss Bread from Bread Talk but once you toast it in the oven, the aroma will slowly creep out and tease your nostrils. The bread is crisp (coated with a layer of sesame) and crunchy (with bits of pine nuts, macadamia nuts and flax seeds), yet soft inside. Coupled with a thin layer of butter (unsalted for me), it becomes a lethal combination! Won't you like to have a try? Oops, all this bread talk is making me hungry... Guess what I am having for supper tonight? *winks*

1 comment:

StormMummy said...

The French loaf in Vietnam is divine!!