Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Praying

I have been praying hard lately.

My dad has been diagnosed with cancer recently and it came as a shock to my family. It's always something that you don't expect to happen to your loved ones and yet, it did. When I first learnt about the news, I tried to take it calmly but failed. How could I? It's my dad, someone who is so close to my heart. And all the guilt started flooding me. I was too careless, by not sending him for further check-ups when he complained about perpetual pain in his back. I was too ignorant, for always thinking that his ailments are minor. I was too negligent, having lost the sensitivity that I once had when it came to detecting whether my parents were unwell, after residing in Hanoi for close to 2 years.

This is a wake-up call for me. To warn me that life is short and I should never take things for granted. To allow me to see the strength in my family members as we came together to encourage our dad to face his illness bravely. And to allow me to once again appreciate the understanding displayed by M who readily agreed when I requested to stay with my family during this time, despite dreading the boring x10 life in Hanoi when I am not around.

My dad is now undergoing treatment currently and I pray that his condition will come under control. I resolve to treasure each and every member in my family and spend as much time with them as possible.

Now all I need is time. Please let my prayers be heard.

2 comments:

StormMummy said...

Take care.

karen said...

Dear Chunnie,

I am very sorry to read about your father's illness. I believe what your family needs to do now is to give him full support and lend a listening ear to him. It's through all these happenings that brings the family closer and also learn how to appreciate life more.

I know it is easier said than done. We need to show them that we care for them.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers, whatever religion we believe in.

Take care!