Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Enough is Enough

I finally decided today that I have had ENOUGH.

For the past two weeks, I have been indulging myself in different flavours of mooncakes. Green tea, honeydew, white lotus paste, normal lotus paste, coconut, pineapple, you name it, I have tried it. As much as I tried to ration my craving, I always ended up eating more than planned as I have a really BIG sweet tooth. So I resolved yesterday not to touch another piece of mooncake for the rest of the year. I told M about this and he gleefully agreed to support me by heading down to the kitchen to eat my favourite snowskin green tea moon cake IN FRONT OF ME! His rationale was to finish them so that I would not be tempted. Duh.. that's really helpful.

Anyway, Mooncake Festival (or "Tet Trung Tu") is widely celebrated in Hanoi. The tradition of eating mooncakes, pomelos and snails as well as playing with lanterns is similar to what we do in Singapore. In addition, the quality of the mooncakes made by local hotels are pretty authentic, with my favourite being Sofitel Plaza. The prices are not cheap though, ranging from USD18 - 20 per box for 4 pieces. The most famous local Hanoi mooncake brand is "Kinh Do" but I have yet to try because so far, I have not heard good reviews about it (heard that it's too sweet). Was very tempted to buy one last week but decided to give it a miss in view of my diet plan.

So will I be holding a lantern and walking along the street outside my house tonight? Probably not as it has been raining quite a bit these few days. But I will probably enjoy a cup of tea while watching M sink his teeth into our favourite green tea mooncake laden with 1000 calories plus fats. I am still determined to keep to my promise...

Happy Mooncake Festival! Chuc Mon Trung Tu!

No comments: