Saturday, January 12, 2008

Maid in Vietnam

I am not sure whether I am considered lucky or unfortunate. There is some strange arrangement that we inherited from the previous house owner which resulted in me having two domestic helpers at my house in Hanoi. When my friends hear about this, they often rave in envy. I guess I would too, if I heard it from someone else. But honestly, I am tired of this arrangement. There are times when I just want to ask them to leave and let me have some peace and privacy.

This is what has been happening so far... I get along quite well with the younger helper and I think the older helper is jealous! So much so that she has been exaggerating her job role in the house and trying to get my husband's attention, like getting my driver to talk to my husband about some $ matters when she has told me about it the day before! I am quite amused (and vaguely annoyed) by the little games she's playing and have seriously thought about asking her to leave. The only thing that's holding me back is knowing she is the sole breadwinner of her family and it will not be easy for her to find another job since she doesn't speak English well. Of course, she's not without her merits. She does her job fairly well though I think it's because she has nothing much to do here.

M, in his usual cynical manner, jokingly commented that I can try out my people management skills on them and I was like duh!

I am quite certain that when I return to Singapore, I will not hire a maid unless a kid comes along the way and I cannot cope. I am now tired of maids in Vietnam. Looking forward to tomorrow when it's her off day and I won't see her. I feel so pathetic...

No comments: