Sunday, January 13, 2008

Milky Fruit

Doesn't this remind you of the pong pong fruit we see in Singapore?


They are green, palm-sized and filled with white sap. But this fruit (called "vu sua" in Vietnamese) is quite commonly found in Hanoi and fast becoming one of my favourite local fruits. I bought a few yesterday as I had a craving for them and 1 kilo costs about VND 35,000 (around SGD 3). It's not cheap but well, everything is expensive now in Hanoi. Inflation is incredible here. Last year, the same fruit costs only VND 20,000/ kg. Now... I feel the pinch in my pocket. :p

To eat it, first, you cut it open across the top like this..

And use a spoon to scoop the "flesh" within...

Almost like a jelly cup...

But more yummy... (see the black seeds inside? They are not edible.)

Given the steeper price, this indulgence cannot come too often. Self-restraint is necessary.

No comments: