Saturday, January 19, 2008

Season BBQ - Perfect in Cold Hanoi

A group of us decided to try out a newly opened restaurant called Season BBQ last Thursday, after we heard it from L, who gave it a very good review.

The place was relatively easy to find as it was near Hanoi Towers. When I went into the restaurant, I found the ambience very nice, with a little Japanese influence on the interior decor. We had a private room to ourselves on the third floor and an allocated waiter to help us with the grilling and serving. Perfect for guests who would like to chit-chat and enjoy BBQ food at the same time as you do not need to scramble around with the tongs and hot plate!


Quite a welcoming feel into the restaurant...

We ordered quite a number of dishes: mushrooms, vegetables, fish, beef rolls, chicken, duck, squid, tiger prawns, fried rice and porridge. A vegetable salad was served to each of us as appetiser, probably to whet our appetite so that we will order more. :p The servings were not huge but sufficient for the 8 of us. L jokingly commented that K and I had the worse seats because we were very near the grill plate and most likely to be choked with fumes. Well, she was right! But I had fun watching the waiter barbeque though, especially when the sizzling flame leapt up!

Top left: The salad bowl; Top right: Grilled taro, zucchini and brinjal
Bottom left: The mushroom selection; Bottom right: The end products

Top left: Grilled duck; Top right: BIG prawns
Bottom left: Squids and prawns; Bottom right: Grilled Sanma fish

The servings were not huge but sufficient for the 8 of us. I would say the food was nice but a tad greasy. I was expecting the teppanyaki style of grilling where little oil was added but the waiter (mucht to my disappointed) poured quite a significant amount of oil when cooking each dish. The porridge was a little bland but I guess after an overdose of oil, it was refreshing.

The dessert (it was complimentary due to the new opening of the restaurant) was two small scoops of ice cream. I ordered the ginger flavour and shared with K, who ordered the matcha one. Both were nice but I found the ginger ice cream more unique. Yummy...


I guess BBQ is really not my cup of tea but as I was telling M, meat lovers who don't mind extra oil would probably think it's a good place. The price came up to around VND 940,000 for 8 persons but meat lovers can expect to spend more.

P.S. I have labelled this blog entry "Vietnamese Food" as I wasn't sure how to classify BBQ. It's not really Korean style since there is no kimchi and not Japanese as it is definitely not teppanyaki. So Vietnamese it shall be. :)

Season BBQ
54 Ly Thuong Kiet
Hanoi
Website: http://www.seasonbbq.vn/ (still under construction as of today)
Tel: 9367629

No comments: