Monday, January 28, 2008

One Dish Meal for Dinner

I cooked a one dish meal for dinner yesterday and there were several "obstacles" before the meal was served.

Obstacle 1: I ran out of gas and my limited Vietnamese did not allow me to call the gas company.

Obstacle 2: I was engrossed in the Men's Singles Championship Finals of the Australia Open and needed to whip up something real fast so that I can get glued to the TV again.

Obstacle 3: I didn't want to do too much washing as I was down with a slight cold yesterday. Ok, usually M will offer to do the dishes on Sunday but the quality of his washing is well... debatable...

So I decided to dump a mixture of rice, potatoes, marinated chicken and mixed vegetables into the rice cooker before hurrying back to watch the tie break between Novak Djokovic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. The end result was a "pseudo" rice stew that was quite palatable coz M finished the entire plate that I dished for him. He knew about the gas situation and was a little amazed that I could cook without the stove. I felt proud to have impressed him over nothing. :p I mean, tell this to the experienced mothers and they would be like, "Huh? Impressed? I can cook using the rice cooker with my eyes closed!"

Anyway, I took a picture of my rice stew just for the fun of it. Minimal washing, short preparation time and rather good end results.. What more can I ask for? :)

No comments: